How To Look After Your Skin
The largest organ of your body is your skin, and it’s the one that people can always see, so it pays to look after it. Good, clear skin will make you feel confident, and it will keep you healthy in other ways too. Below are some useful and practical tips on how to ensure you protect your skin as much as possible, and you can enjoy its youthful appearance for as long as possible.
Protect Your Skin From The Sun
The sun can do an incredible amount of damage to your skin very quickly, and you won’t always have a sunburn to tell you about it. Some of the damage won’t be visible, but it is dangerous all the same. Too much exposure to the sun without using any form of protection can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. To protect yourself from the sun you should:
- Use sunscreen and re-apply it every two hours whether you have been swimming or not
- Stay in the shade when the sun’s rays are at its strongest
- Wear protective clothing such as long-sleeved shirts and pants rather than shorts and t-shirts
- Always wear a hat
Smoking has a seriously detrimental effect on your health in general, but it is extremely bad for your skin. It will age you prematurely, causing lines and deep wrinkles because the blood vessels in your skin will narrow, and less oxygen can get through, plus the collagen in your skin will be damaged making it less elastic. Your skin may even take on an unhealthy yellow pallor.
Cleanse Your Skin
In order to really look after your skin, you need to keep it clean, but you need to do so in the right way.
- Strong soaps and shower gels can be too much for your skin, and can actually dry it out, leaving it looking unhealthy. Use mild soaps and wash gently.
- When you shave, always use a foam or cream to lubricate the skin, and make sure the razor is sharp and clean. Ideally, you should shave in the direction that your hair grows, as this will cause less damage.
- If you have acne, try alternative therapies that are natural rather than ones that are full of harsh chemicals. Examples of what you could use include jojoba, rosehip, tea tree, and CBD oil. Search for where to buy CBD oil and try a new skincare regime that will benefit you greatly.
- Always pat yourself dry after washing rather than rubbing the skin. If you pat, you will leave some moisture in the skin, and this will make it appear much more healthy.
Eat A Healthy Diet
What you eat and put into your body has a direct effect on how you look, and how healthy your skin is. Therefore, the better your diet, the better your skin’s health. Eating more fruit and vegetables will increase how healthy your skin is, as will introducing more fish (especially oily fish such as salmon and mackerel) into your diet.