Surprisingly Dangerous Things You May Have in Your Home

If you’re like most people, you probably think that your home is the safest place in the world for you and your children, so you might be shocked to find that there are lots of potentially dangerous things lurking in the average home.

 

Despite all of the money we spend on high-quality home security systems and fences to keep burglars out and, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, etc., to keep us safe, there are lots of seemingly innocuous, everyday objects that could be flying under the radar, undermining your safety efforts without you even realizing it. Here are some of the most common:

 

 

Extension Cords

Now that we all have so many electronic devices, it’s not unusual to see an extension cord in most rooms, and most of us wouldn’t even think twice about them. However, they can be very dangerous. How? According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, using an extension cord all of the time can make the insulation around the wires deteriorate, which makes electric shocks and even electrical fires much more likely. Around 3300 fires are started in residential buildings annually due to this effect, which is why you should use extension cords sparingly and never leave them in use if you aren’t going to be around to supervise.

 

Laundry Dryers

Most of us also have laundry dryers in the home because they are more convenient than popping to the laundrette, but what few of us realize is that they can be a hazard. First of all, if they are not cleaned regularly, then lint can build up and potentially set on fire, and secondly, children can think that they’d be a fun place to hide out, get stuck and come to all kinds of danger. So, keep them clean and teach your kids that they should stay away from your dryer, at least until they’re old enough to do so safely.

 

Humidifiers

If you have a humidifier in your home because you think it will keep you healthy and cold-free in the winter, bear in mind that, if you don’t clean it and replace the water on a regular basis, it could start to breed bacteria, fungus and spores, which your family could end up breathing in and get really sick! Clean it every day to avoid this hidden danger.

 

Lead Paint

Most of us are aware that lead paint can cause poisoning if a child, for example, was to consume it when it’s flaking or whatever, but most of us don’t  consider it an issue since lead paint hasn’t been manufactured for around 3 decades now., However, if you live in an older home, it is possible that there is lead paint on the walls and you should have a paint inspection taken place if you’re worried about that.

 

Space Heaters

Space heaters are great for heating the home on a budget, so it is unfortunate that they cause around 25,000 house fires annually. If you have a space heater and you want to keep using it, first ensure that it has been UL approved and features an emergency shut off and always turn it off before you go out. You should also never leave children or pets unattended around it.

If you have any of these dangers in your home, don’t panic.

 

If you use them wisely or remove them where necessary, you shouldn’t have any issues!

 

Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *